Victorian Club of the Year 2020
Club of the Year
On August 3rd 2020, at the Annual LSV Awards of Excellence evening, Portsea was awarded with the prestigious Beaurepaire Shield for being the 2020 Victorian Club of the Year. We are so grateful to be recognised at a state level for the hard work we have put into this season, and all the successes that we have had. Here are a few highlights from our nomination:
- Establishment of our food and beverage facility – The Club
- Establishment of The Tribe program, supporting our females in lifesaving
- The creation of the Member Engagement portfolio and associated events
- Expansion of our Educational offering
- Establishment of the Lifesaving Subcommittee
- Implementation of new governance policies
- 75% increase in membership numbers over one season
We’ve now got our sights set on winning the national Club of the Year!
There were also two other fantastic achievements from the night. Both of the “Team of the Year” awards were taken out by Portsea teams.
Youth Team of the Year
Congratulations to the Portsea SLSC Youth Turtle Backs.
The team that was officially nominated is the Youth Women’s Swim Team, consisting of:
- Mackie Hunter
- Hannah Saadie
- Frankie Dever
- Gemma Woolrich
However, it really has been a team effort over the last five years, with every one of the girls in this age group having swum in the swim team at various carnivals. So congratulations also to:
- Jess Haintz
- Emerson Young
- Gabby Simmons
- Belle Mitchell
More about the team:
- 1st place in the Youth Women’s Surf Teams Race at the LSV Mordialloc Carnival, competing as a full “bottom age” team, with all four girls from the U14 age group, winning U15 (Youth) teams event.
- For four years running, this surf team has trained and raced together as part of the strong U14 Portsea women’s age group. They took Bronze as U11’s at state champs, gold as U12’s at state champs, and entered as U13’s surf teams event at state champs, but unfortunately water team events were cancelled at the Victorian Championships in 2019.
- In the season 2019/20 the girls bounced back to race again, trained and competed together over the summer and were entered at the 2020 LSV Victorian Championships, the 2020 SLSA Youth Aussies and 2020 Aussies Ocean Swim. Sadly these pinnacle events were also cancelled.
Masters Team of the Year
Congratulations to the Portsea SLSC Masters Beach Relay Team.
About the team:
- GOLD medallists, 2020 Victorian Masters Championships
- Dwight Harrison captained the Portsea Masters Team for the 10th year in a row. Dwight has been a continuing driving force, recruiting members, organising training, arranging the team dinner, motivating his team, writing team reports and himself competing in beach, board and swim events.
- Henry Kiss has been a constant member of the Portsea Masters Team, bringing his skills as a beach competitor and coach, having raced nationally and internationally in previous years. In 2020, at the Lorne carnival weekend, Henry re-credentialled his officials certification.
- Brett Croft is an avid supporter of competition at Portsea, providing water safety at Junior carnivals.
- Darren Kerr is another supporter of both Junior and Senior Competition, and in the 2019/2020 season has volunteered as an official at both junior and senior carnivals, having upskilled to a Senior Official LSV role.
Congratulations to all of our winners and nominees.
A big thanks to Jacqui Hart and Nat Hood for preparing the nominations!