The Portsea Surf Life Saving Club was formed in 1949 by a group of local residents to protect the lives of swimmers at the notoriously dangerous Mt. Levy Beach, commonly referred to as the Portsea Back Beach. The beach is part of the Pt. Nepean National Park, which is managed by Parks Victoria. Since 1949 members have been responsible for saving over 4,500 lives on our beach. Since 1949 the Club has assisted over 1,500 young men and women to gain the Surf Life Saving Australia’s coveted Bronze Medallion.
The original clubhouse was constructed from a packing crate and was located 200 metres East of the clubhouse as we now know it. The first permanent structure was erected on the present site in 1960 and was upgraded in 1972 with the addition of more storage areas. In 1985 the Committee and members of the Club commenced a 2 year rebuilding project to restore the premises which were severely damaged in a storm. Considerable assistance was given by the Peninsula residents, business community and local service clubs. The operating budget of the Club is now in excess of $300,000 per season with the majority of this being provided by members subscriptions, special events and sponsorship. Additional funds are generated through public donations.