2023 Victorian Youth & Senior Titles at Ocean GroveMarch 15, 2023
Portsea SLSC SurveyApril 5, 2023
Portsea SLSC fielded a small but strong team of U9-U13 athletes at the Victorian Junior State Championships. Twenty Portsea junior members tested their skills at Warrnambool SLSC over the March long weekend. The event brought together 700 of the best young athletes from across the State.
Our team represented the ‘Red and White’ with great endeavour, enthusiasm and pride. The camaraderie across the different age groups and clubs was especially evident. Importantly, our team of Juniors gained valuable competition experience and improved their surf awareness and surf sports skills.
Portsea Juniors who represented our Club were:
U10: Boston Brandi, Sasha Robertson, Bobby Preston, James Hall, Hudson Spiegel.
U11: Camilla Klein, Scarlett Lancaster.
U12: Sophie Hall, Lachlan Wills, Cooper Robertson, Jimmy McNamara, Edward Barnaby, Hunter Spiegel.
U13: Sophia Barnaby, Freya Regan, Isla Morris, Ruby Lancaster, Monty Tucker, Ted McNamara & Harley Lancaster.
Portsea finished 14th overall out of 24 Victorian Surf Life Saving Club. A great result considering most Victorian SLS clubs are made up of predominantly local residents, unlike Portsea. Congratulations to all our athletes who made finals, especially to our medallists and our State Champions.
Our Silver & Bronze medallists:
- EDWARD BARNABY: U12 boys long run – BRONZE medal
- TED MCNAMARA: U13 boys surf race – BRONZE medal
- SOFIA BARNABY: U13 girls surf race – SILVER medal
- MONTY TUCKER: U13 boys beach relay team – SILVER medal
- TED MCNAMARA: U13 boys beach relay team – SILVER medal
Our Gold Medallists:
- SOPHIE HALL: U12 girls long run – GOLD medal, State Champion
- SOPHIE HALL: U12 girls surf race – GOLD medal, State Champion
- SOPHIE HALL: U13 girls surf teams – GOLD medal, State Champions
- ISLA MORRIS: U13 girls surf teams – GOLD medal, State Champions
- FREYA REGAN: U13 girls surf teams – GOLD medal, State Champions
- SOPHIE BARNABY: U13 girls surf teams – GOLD medal, State Champions
The highlight for me was seeing our graduating U13 Nippers competitors do so well. Ted McNamara and Sophia Barnaby both finished 6ths overall in their U13 Age Groups for all water events; and our U13 girls (with Sophie Hall U12) won gold in the Surf Teams swimming race. This group of young lifesavers are all future patrolling members at Portsea. I know our beach will be in safe hands as our graduating junior squad members complete their SRC and Bronze Medallions over the next few years.
Lastly, thank-you to our parents who took on duties supporting the team, in logistics roles, and acting as officials, water safety, age managers and supporters. We hope you all enjoyed the weekend as much as our competing members.
Rob Wills – Junior Team Manager
All Portsea Nippers U8-U13 are welcome to join the Portsea Junior Squad each summer.
For information see: https://portseasurf.com.au/junior-comp/