What is Silver Camp?
It is the next big step in the lifesaving pathway at Portsea SLSC. By being a part of our Silver Camp in 2020 you will set yourself apart from the rest of and gain skills and certificates that elevate you through the ranks of Portsea and also lifesaving in Victoria.
If you have ever considered becoming a patrol captain or even a lifeguard, Silver camp is an excellent place to improve your leadership skills, confidence in an IRB, and emergency response skills! We will leave the basics behind and explore what it really means to be a lifesaver at Portsea back beach.
This camp is not for the faint hearted, so make sure when you sign up you’re prepared for what will be an all in effort on a great pre-season camp!
There will be up to 2 hours a day set aside for students to study during the camp program.
What will I learn on Silver Camp?
A combination of theory and practical work, including:
- IRB Crewing Techniques
- Advanced resuscitation skills
- First Aid
- Spinal management procedures (refreshing bronze knowledge)
- Extended emergency care
- Advanced defibrillation and oxygen treatment
- Complex scenario management
What awards can I attain on Silver Camp?
- IRB Crew
- Advanced Resuscitation Techniques
- First Aid
Note: Spinal Management is longer an award, but we will refresh knowledge from Bronze.
To apply as an instructor you must:
- Hold at least 1 of the above awards; and
- Hold a Training Officers Certificate (TOC)
- Instructors are able assist in teaching the awards they hold AND gain the awards that they don’t.