- No fins, paddles, snorkels or flotation devices permitted.
- Course marshals shall have authority to disqualify any competitors.
- Course marshals/medical staff shall have the ultimate and final authority to remove a competitor from the race if the competitor is judged to be incapable of continuing the race without the risk of serious injury.
- Good sportsman-like conduct will be demanded of all competitors.
- Swimmers will be required to wear an official race timing device and race cap provided upon registration.
- The start is on the beach after the briefing – wait until you are instructed to enter the water
- Remember you are swimming with the tide, but you should allow between 40-90 minutes to complete the swim.
- We recommend you swim close to Pt. King and Pt. Franklin, in order to avoid boating traffic.
- We also recommend a straight line to Pt King and swimming to the left of the marker buoys positioned at PT King, half way along Shelly Beach and at Pt Franklin.
- Water depth varies so watch for rocks and if necessary rest in the shallows at Shelly Beach.
- Moored boats can and do hurt – keep your eye on the water in front.
- Tide and wind meet at Pt. King and the water can be very turbulent – an inner course is preferable for a smooth ride.
- Finish at Portsea is on the beach approx. 200m east of the pier – You MUST swim around the marker buoys before swimming towards the Finish Banner.